I'm very excited to announce my brand new asset on the Unity Asset Store, called SmoothTrails. It's a better version of the built-in Unity TrailRenderer. You might ask, why not just use TrailRenderer or one of the several other trail generators?Here's why you might like SmoothTrails:
- You have TrailRenderers already, but the trails look bad when objects rotate too fast, or frame rate drops.
- You have someone else's trails package but they render slowly.
- You want more control over the quality-vs-performance, perhaps dynamically.
- You want to customize TrailRenderer, but don't have source code.
- SmoothTrails comes with full source code.
- SmoothTrails is a custom reimplementation of the Unity TrailRenderer component, and relies on LineRenderer, so the setup is what you're already comfortable with.
- You can tell SmoothTrails how many cubic Bezier spline points to add between segment samples, and it does so smoooooothly. (It's a harder problem to solve than you might expect.)
- SmoothTrails has 3 levels of quality that adjust performance/quality tradeoff.
Here's a sample of what a TrailRenderer and SmoothTrails object look like side-by-side... I accidentally recorded this one in LOW QUALITY. At high quality, it's perfectly curved. I'll re-record when I get a chance.